pollution control on most Guat vehicles.
micky
2024-01-24 10:59:22 UTC
Some of the vehicles, especially chicken buses and trucks, but no where
near all of them, belch black smoke in great amount here in Guatemala,
especially when starting up hills, of which their are endless.

I dont' think there is any required pollution inspecition, and it makes
me think that the demands, largely from the US I think, for cars with
pollution controls, have benefitted Guat. and other countries too,
because the controls work well until they break, and only a few break.
Retirednoguilt
2024-01-24 14:20:16 UTC
Post by micky
Some of the vehicles, especially chicken buses and trucks, but no where
near all of them, belch black smoke in great amount here in Guatemala,
especially when starting up hills, of which their are endless.
I dont' think there is any required pollution inspecition, and it makes
me think that the demands, largely from the US I think, for cars with
pollution controls, have benefitted Guat. and other countries too,
because the controls work well until they break, and only a few break.
It all depends on where they import their trucks from. Even then, if
either there aren't any pollution control laws, or no effective
enforcement, the pollution controls may be disabled in country to
improve mileage. I can imagine that in a poor country without pollution
enforcement owners may make money by removing and selling the catalytic
converters from vehicles that have them and welding in a plain piece of
exhaust tubing to close the gap.
Cindy Hamilton
2024-01-24 14:27:18 UTC
Post by micky
Some of the vehicles, especially chicken buses and trucks, but no where
near all of them, belch black smoke in great amount here in Guatemala,
especially when starting up hills, of which their are endless.
I dont' think there is any required pollution inspecition,
There is no require pollution inspection here, either.
Cindy Hamilton
Woozy Song
2024-01-30 00:40:09 UTC
Post by micky
Some of the vehicles, especially chicken buses and trucks, but no where
near all of them, belch black smoke in great amount here in Guatemala,
especially when starting up hills, of which their are endless.
I dont' think there is any required pollution inspecition, and it makes
me think that the demands, largely from the US I think, for cars with
pollution controls, have benefitted Guat. and other countries too,
because the controls work well until they break, and only a few break.
I remember working in Venezuela. After oil put tons of money into the
economy, the peasants were buying used American cars, old crap that got
shipped there. And the gasoline was made from high-sulphur crude that
they couldn't export. So the air pollution was terrible.