Jeep recall
micky
2024-01-30 00:48:41 UTC
My step-nephew (Is there such a thing?) has several irons in the fire,
including buying salvage cars and fixing them up. That is, paying a shop
to fix them up. He trusts them to do it right because his own mother
is driving one of them.

A Jeep. Not a WWII jeep like a jeep should be, but a car of some sort.

The steering locks up, and by golly there was a recall on that year and
model for bad rack and pinion.

However when
micky
2024-01-30 03:01:25 UTC
This series of posts by me, all at once, was unintended. When i was in
Guatamala, I posted but if I also sent the post out by email, the emails
didn't actually go. I was trying to find and send them one at a time,
but instead someone gave me a suggestion and it sent all of them at once
and somehow posted some usenet posts too. So far, I'm not ashamed of
any of them. This one clearly wasn't finished yet, so I'm going to
finish it bellow.

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:48:41 -0500, micky
Post by micky
My step-nephew (Is there such a thing?) has several irons in the fire,
including buying salvage cars and fixing them up. That is, paying a shop
to fix them up. He trusts them to do it right because his own mother
is driving one of them.
A Jeep. Not a WWII jeep like a jeep should be, but a car of some sort.
The steering locks up, and by golly there was a recall on that year and
model for bad rack and pinion.
However when
When the Jeep dealer was called, he looked up the VIN and since it
wasn't listed, he said "No free repair".

If the VIN isn't listed as a car that deserves a free repair, but it
clearly has a bad rack and pinion, doesn't that mean that either the
records got messed up and it never got the repair it was entitled to,
even though it's not on the list, OR maybe it was repaired and they
used one of the first set of bad rack and pinions, so the new one was no
good either. Is there a third possibility?

What are the chances she can convince them to fix it under the recall?
How would yu go asbout doing this?

(I realize now that I didn't post this, because I was going to loook the
car up in Carfax or Bumper.

Carfax is no longer free; it's not even cheap.

Does anyone know anything about Bumper. Is its information as complete
as Carfax? How could that be?

Also they have a two-level introductory price, iirc $2 and $10. What is
the difference? .... Maybe they've gotten rid of that in the last 3
weeks. Now it's $1 for 7 days. I have to find the vin, in my suitcase
somewhere.
The Real Bev
2024-01-30 04:01:24 UTC
Post by micky
What are the chances she can convince them to fix it under the recall?
How would yu go asbout doing this?
Did you sign up with NHTSA to be notified of all recalls for YOUR
particular car? They notify you perhaps a month before the dealerships
send out notices. I got two about the Takata airbags. Made an
appointment immediately and there was NO wait for the replacement.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
--
Cheers,
Bev
-- Bob Henson
micky
2024-01-30 06:50:39 UTC
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:01:24 -0800, The Real Bev
Post by The Real Bev
Post by micky
What are the chances she can convince them to fix it under the recall?
How would yu go asbout doing this?
Did you sign up with NHTSA to be notified of all recalls for YOUR
No, but my cars are 7 years or older when I buy them.-- The last one was
12 --, and I do look at what recalls the car has after I buy it. And in
all cases, the recalls have been for non-critical, even non-important,
things or I knew they'd been fixed. I don't think many flaws take
more than 7 years to show up.
Post by The Real Bev
particular car? They notify you perhaps a month before the dealerships
send out notices. I got two about the Takata airbags. Made an
appointment immediately and there was NO wait for the replacement.
Cool.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
The Real Bev
2024-01-31 04:00:46 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
particular car? They notify you perhaps a month before the dealerships
send out notices. I got two about the Takata airbags. Made an
appointment immediately and there was NO wait for the replacement.
Cool.
Post by The Real Bev
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Do it anyway. It's free. My 2013 airbags were recalled in maybe 2018
and 2020.
--
Cheers, Bev
While you can't fool all the people all the time, you can fool
-- Anonymous Democrat
micky
2024-01-31 05:27:35 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Do it anyway. It's free. My 2013 airbags were recalled in maybe 2018
and 2020.
You have a point. They won't send me "helpful" emails in addition, will
they? I'm trying to cut down how much email I get.
The Real Bev
2024-01-31 21:29:42 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Do it anyway. It's free. My 2013 airbags were recalled in maybe 2018
and 2020.
You have a point. They won't send me "helpful" emails in addition, will
they? I'm trying to cut down how much email I get.
Not so far. If you're worried about that you can just feed in your VIN
and see what comes up.