Carb spacers and Edelbrock 1405's
Snag
2024-04-03 19:27:15 UTC
On a moderately built 305 with a Performer EPS intake manifold . This
thing runs like a scalded cat , did everything I wanted - except idle .
No matter what I did it would idle for a few seconds then just stumble
and die . Turns out that the spacer under the carb was the problem . I
had to use a spacer in order to have a vacuum port for the brake booster
since this carb doesn't have a port on the back . Turns out that because
the spacer is open without a center rib (and the manifold has one) it
causes problems with the idle circuits . The solution turned out to be
getting a spacer that has 4 holes instead of the open one . The new
spacer didn't have a vacuum port ... but it had enough meat to drill and
tap for one . And now the truck idles in gear without dying . I haven't
driven it yet to see if it runs differently on the road , but I don't
expect any significant change in performance .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
William Wallace
Paul in Houston TX
Great bit of detective work!
Snag
2024-04-04 02:32:15 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
[...]
Not my detective work though . The credit goes to a friend who has
more experience with performance mods . I've maintained all our vehicles
over the years , but this is pretty much my first foray into performance
mods . And likely my last considering I'm no spring chicken anymore .
William Wallace
Paul in Houston TX