check list
root
2024-02-22 03:57:45 UTC
I'm going to shop for a used car soon, something I
haven't done in a long time.
Can anyone recommend a check list of items to inspect,
on the vehicle? ??And a list of things which should be
inspected by a professional mechanic?
Does it matter whether I buy from a dealer,
vs. a private party transaction?
--
Rich
A guy named Akerloff won a nobel prize for pointing

If you buy from private party try this: have him
pay for an independent mechanic to evaluate the
car. If it passes the test you will add the cost
of the test to the price of the car.

Good luck.
root
2024-02-22 04:01:57 UTC
Post by root
I'm going to shop for a used car soon, something I
haven't done in a long time.
Can anyone recommend a check list of items to inspect,
on the vehicle? ??And a list of things which should be
inspected by a professional mechanic?
Does it matter whether I buy from a dealer,
vs. a private party transaction?
--
Rich
A guy named Akerloff won a nobel prize for pointing
out the seller of a car knows much more about the
car than you do. That puts you at a disadvantage.
The only counter to this is to have an expert evaluate
the car.
If you buy from private party try this: have him
pay for an independent mechanic to evaluate the
car. If it passes the test you will add the cost
of the test to the price of the car.
Good luck.
I have a better tactic: One you have agreed on the
purchase price, make the offer contingent on an
idependent evaluation of the car. If the car
passes, you add the cost of the test to the
agreed price, otherwise he pays for the test.

If the seller doesn't agree to something like that
keep looking.