Is there such a thing as paintable cold galvanizing paint?
larrymoencurly
2003-09-06 07:00:23 UTC
Are there any cold galvanizing compounds that can be painted over? I
have some areas on my car where the paint is lifting but where water
normally gets trapped (under weatherstripping), so I'd like to do more
than just paint over it the usual way. Is it OK to simply use
phosphoric acid metal etch or etching primer over cold galvanizing
paint, or will this cause it to lift?
ATP
2003-09-06 14:04:34 UTC
Post by larrymoencurly
Are there any cold galvanizing compounds that can be painted over? I
have some areas on my car where the paint is lifting but where water
normally gets trapped (under weatherstripping), so I'd like to do more
than just paint over it the usual way. Is it OK to simply use
phosphoric acid metal etch or etching primer over cold galvanizing
paint, or will this cause it to lift?
I've used Centari acrylic over ZRC cold galvanizing paint with no problems
on my frame rails. You can't use alkyd paints over zinc rich coatings. On
sheetmetal, treatment with phosphoric acid followed by a primer and topcoat
should be sufficient.
John T. McCracken
2003-09-06 14:40:31 UTC
Post by larrymoencurly
Are there any cold galvanizing compounds that can be painted over?
These are usually labeled zinc rich primer, meaning to me they are meant to
be painted over. I did a job for the dept. of transportation several years
ago that specified galvinized pipe, with all welds sprayed with zinc rich
primer, followed by 3 coats of paint. I had them painted by an outside
source so I can't tell you particulars, but I can tell you it can be done.

JTMcC.

larrymoencurly
2003-09-06 19:43:33 UTC
Post by John T. McCracken
These are usually labeled zinc rich primer, meaning to me they are
meant to be painted over.
The problem is that all spray zinc primers I've found in the stores
and a half-used can that was obtained from an industrial supply house
had warnings against being painted over. I just haven't had luck
finding anything that says it can be painted over, and since with
zinc-plated metal supposedly needs special primer, I though that the
same would be true of anything coated with cold galvanizing paint
since it's 95% zinc powder.
ATP
2003-09-06 20:04:01 UTC
The info is at www.zrc.com Be prepared though, it's more expensive than a
spray can
John T. McCracken
2003-09-06 21:36:19 UTC
Post by larrymoencurly
Post by John T. McCracken
These are usually labeled zinc rich primer, meaning to me they are
meant to be painted over.
The problem is that all spray zinc primers I've found in the stores
and a half-used can that was obtained from an industrial supply house
had warnings against being painted over. I just haven't had luck
finding anything that says it can be painted over, and since with
zinc-plated metal supposedly needs special primer, I though that the
same would be true of anything coated with cold galvanizing paint
since it's 95% zinc powder.
Try Clearco Products, I have bought hundreds of cans from them, they are
good to do business with and they have zinc rich spray thats made to be
painted over. I know this stuff is routinely painted over in high corrosion
enviroments, the DOT stuff we built was underwater part of the time.

JTMcC.
jitney
2003-09-07 04:01:39 UTC
Tim
2003-09-06 23:26:49 UTC
Post by larrymoencurly
Post by John T. McCracken
These are usually labeled zinc rich primer, meaning to me they are
meant to be painted over.
The problem is that all spray zinc primers I've found in the stores
and a half-used can that was obtained from an industrial supply house
had warnings against being painted over. I just haven't had luck
finding anything that says it can be painted over,
and since with
zinc-plated metal supposedly needs special primer,
I use this http://www.dacrylate.co.uk/data%20sheets/D150-023.pdf ,
then i use a regular primer, and i haven't had any problems yet.

regards
tim
John Ings
2003-09-07 12:23:12 UTC
Post by larrymoencurly
Are there any cold galvanizing compounds that can be painted over?
I have no idea,
Post by larrymoencurly
have some areas on my car where the paint is lifting but where water
normally gets trapped (under weatherstripping), so I'd like to do more
than just paint over it the usual way.
Indeed. You can't use any kind of normal pain for that, because
regular paints aren't waterproof. All will allow a few water molecules
through, and that's enough to cause rust.

There is however a rather expensive plastic 'paint' that is absolutely
waterproof and which will stop rust dead in its tracks. It has no
problems with being painted over. After two salt- laden Canadian
winters my winter 'beater' still shows no sign of rusting where I've
applied that stuff.

www.por15.com

An unsolicited testimonial from a satisfied customer.
Nathan Nagel
2003-09-07 12:35:12 UTC
Post by larrymoencurly
have some areas on my car where the paint is lifting but where water
normally gets trapped (under weatherstripping), so I'd like to do more
than just paint over it the usual way.
Indeed. You can't use any kind of normal pain for that, because
regular paints aren't waterproof. All will allow a few water molecules
through, and that's enough to cause rust.
There is however a rather expensive plastic 'paint' that is absolutely
waterproof and which will stop rust dead in its tracks. It has no
problems with being painted over. After two salt- laden Canadian
winters my winter 'beater' still shows no sign of rusting where I've
applied that stuff.
www.por15.com
An unsolicited testimonial from a satisfied customer.
I don't know about "no problems being painted over." If you let POR-15
harden, you have to *really* scuff it up to get paint to adhere to ir.
It is, however, uneqivocally Good Stuff. Only gotchas about applying
it: 1) it WILL NOT adhere to grease, so while surface rust is just fine
and dandy, you usually end up using some powerful degreasers if you want
the stuff to stick (I usually use it on frames etc. and underneath the
engine requires lots of prep work) 2) if you get any on you, wipe it off
right away with lacquer thinner because if it dries on you, it's there
until your top layer of skin is ready to be scrubbed off.

Oh, and if you're using it in a non-underside-of-car application, you
will want to topcoat it because the color fades in sunlight.

nate
John Ings
2003-09-07 14:33:42 UTC
Post by Nathan Nagel
I don't know about "no problems being painted over." If you let POR-15
harden, you have to *really* scuff it up to get paint to adhere to ir.
It has an optimum paint-over 'window' about 3 hours after it is
applied. After that you need to rough it up. The problem is that it
doesn't dry, it hardens the same way silicone adhesive does, from
exposure to atmospheric moisture. Local humidity affects drying time.
Post by Nathan Nagel
It is, however, uneqivocally Good Stuff. Only gotchas about applying
it: 1) it WILL NOT adhere to grease,
Do you know anything that does?
Post by Nathan Nagel
so while surface rust is just fine
and dandy, you usually end up using some powerful degreasers if you want
the stuff to stick (I usually use it on frames etc. and underneath the
engine requires lots of prep work) 2) if you get any on you, wipe it off
right away with lacquer thinner because if it dries on you, it's there
until your top layer of skin is ready to be scrubbed off.
My one lament is that they don't make the stuff in clear anymore.
At least that didn't show so bad on your skin.
Post by Nathan Nagel
Oh, and if you're using it in a non-underside-of-car application, you
will want to topcoat it because the color fades in sunlight.
It gets sort of dull and weatherbeaten looking. But in that condition
it takes a topcoat really well!

Bonus: you can use it with fibreglass instead of the usual epoxy resin
to make patches. Unlike such patches that use epoxy, POR15 ones won't
rust out underneath their bonding surface.
Nate Nagel
2003-09-08 13:44:15 UTC
Post by John Ings
Post by Nathan Nagel
I don't know about "no problems being painted over." If you let POR-15
harden, you have to *really* scuff it up to get paint to adhere to ir.
It has an optimum paint-over 'window' about 3 hours after it is
applied. After that you need to rough it up. The problem is that it
doesn't dry, it hardens the same way silicone adhesive does, from
exposure to atmospheric moisture. Local humidity affects drying time.
Yup, that's what I do, spray a mist coat of primer over it while it's
still tacky.
Post by John Ings
Post by Nathan Nagel
It is, however, uneqivocally Good Stuff. Only gotchas about applying
it: 1) it WILL NOT adhere to grease,
Do you know anything that does?
Not really :) I guess what I meant was that the POR-15 will peel off
in big sheets if there's any grease as opposed to regular paint which
will just remain soft locally.
Post by John Ings
Post by Nathan Nagel
so while surface rust is just fine
and dandy, you usually end up using some powerful degreasers if you want
the stuff to stick (I usually use it on frames etc. and underneath the
engine requires lots of prep work) 2) if you get any on you, wipe it off
right away with lacquer thinner because if it dries on you, it's there
until your top layer of skin is ready to be scrubbed off.
My one lament is that they don't make the stuff in clear anymore.
At least that didn't show so bad on your skin.
It's a badge of honor :) Unfortunately when you have a
semi-professional job that means you get to wear long sleeved shirts a
lot.
Post by John Ings
Post by Nathan Nagel
Oh, and if you're using it in a non-underside-of-car application, you
will want to topcoat it because the color fades in sunlight.
It gets sort of dull and weatherbeaten looking. But in that condition
it takes a topcoat really well!
Haven't tried that...
Post by John Ings
Bonus: you can use it with fibreglass instead of the usual epoxy resin
to make patches. Unlike such patches that use epoxy, POR15 ones won't
rust out underneath their bonding surface.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. That's great for stiffening up
rust weakened but still intact floorpans, and under carpet, who's
going to know?

nate
a***@iinet.net.oz
2003-09-08 13:48:56 UTC
Post by John Ings
Post by Nathan Nagel
It is, however, uneqivocally Good Stuff. Only gotchas about applying
it: 1) it WILL NOT adhere to grease,
Do you know anything that does?
Your nice clean shirt or whatever else is clean
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address