What are the threads sizes for replacement Blitz 5 gallon portable gasoline can bung caps?
Peter
2023-11-10 04:25:06 UTC
Blitz went out of business (deservedly) but that means I can't ask them.So
I'm asking you if you have the Blitz gas cans what cap thread it uses.

The gas cans look like this unvented double-handle 5 gallon gas can.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186130726730 (Blitz Model #50833)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125974767171 (Blitz Pre-Ban Model #50833)

I have a half dozen old Blitz five gallon dual-handle unvented gas cans.
The complex multi-piece spout-caps long ago broke on all of those cans.

I don't need the spout because I siphon or pour (don't even get me started
on the uselessness of the multi-component spouts please - it just makes me
angry how terrible the contraption is at doing what its supposed to do).
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Spouts-Replacement-Nozzles-Vents/dp/B07Q3HWTV5

All I want are a half dozen one-piece plain old gas can caps (with gasket).
But the threads have to fit as the whole point is not to leak in transit.

When I google, there are "course thread" and "fine thread" gas can caps.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-gallon-thickened-coarse-threads/dp/B0BG64PLF7/

Does that mean there are only two kinds of threads on 5gal gas cans?
Paul in Houston TX
2023-11-11 01:48:58 UTC
Post by Peter
[...]
Not sure what you are asking; however, I have two 5g Blitz around 10-15
yrs old and a 5g Rubber Maid also 10-15 yrs old.
English measurements did not make sense so got out the metric ruler.
Both brands have about 1 thread per 4.5mm or around 5 threads per inch.
The RubberM can opening is 43mm wide and it's spout is loose on the
Blitz. The Blitz can opening is 42mm wide and it's spout is too small
to fit on the RubberM. The Blitz "can" has 2 threads, the Rubb "can"
has 4 threads. Both spouts have 4 threads. They are not
interchangeable between brands.
The Blitz does not have a gasket. It uses a double cone shaped jam seal
for under and over the spout, nut, and can. The Rubb has a gasket
between spout and nut but a flat compression seal between spout and can.
The Rubb system appears to be somewhat better than the Blitz system.
My Blitz's would need the coarse caps.
Peter
2023-11-12 05:28:54 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
Post by Peter
[...]
Thanks for those size measurements and for letting me know the Blitz caps
don't have a gasket - but a new one-piece cap probably needs the gasket.

I pretty much found the answer to my question in these gas cap articles.
https://www.oldhouseonline.com/review/gas-can-screw-cap/
https://www.latimes.com/bestcovery/gas-can-cap
https://ezpourspout.com/application-chart/

What I like about the EZ Pour fellows is they don't try to play politics.
They show you how to make the vent if you want to vent it, for example.
https://ezpourspout.com/faq/

The short answer is the Blitz cans (mostly) use the "fine" threads.
Other cans like the Costco Scepter cans (mostly) use the "course" threads.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/E65F523A-56AC-4546-B514-504ED81BB2ED

But it turns out there are three main and another three minor thread sets.
https://ezpourspout.com/how-to-choose-the-best-spout-base-cap-for-your-gas-can/

Replacement gascap brands are CM Concepts, EZ Pour, Foanriy, JSP
Manufacturing, KP Kool and Sharutia where it's hard to tell the quality of
the HDPE or Nitrile/Buna/Viton gasket which is going to leak over time.

The main problem with the spouts that a cap solves is they get broken when
you put the gas can in the trunk and they don't work anyway and because
they're multiple pieces, they break more often and they fail more often.

What I'd really love is to find an aluminum jerry size (rectangular, not
square) 20L size for something below fifty bucks (but that won't happen).

So I'm stuck with this HDPE garbage that only lasts ten years in the sun.
AMuzi
2023-11-12 15:40:43 UTC
Post by Peter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295825783038?hash=item44e09738fe:g:wEAAAOSwk2dklKMj&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Ovl%2Fjf9Yj7pVHgmga8mVS%2BXxuYfPP%2Fhwvt69wPTEYSrIrgnDv8qemIzsVwKeN4oPN0Xxni12n%2Bt6l3lQxeESkxE6ZTe6bE4NoOQ0rB%2BoC4DCNyliMctKkDYG7xaMFsyEYSUB03Nfn4pbthMCZqVIQrnMKTv6LQZOfbKDySs5bi14Qj5Dk48oIHeSJbHTjFdADknFU97V3HgflTEDLulK603vZti5khm%2FdxRur5QJP3N31uNQGBKd8E79BNKx%2FBo%2BX7XlZ3W9h0syEXw5qnn4FfYbPSw1izY83tWA8MjmI0T%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9irwsH4Yg
--
Andrew Muzi
***@yellowjersey.org