How auto AC works,
micky
2024-01-24 10:49:23 UTC
My rental, a Toyota Yaris, has a simple heater/AC and sometimes, with
the fan on 1, the lowest speed other than "stop", and the temp on
coldest, it's too cold.

The solution seems to be to move the temp towards warm, but when I do
that, am I not using gasoline to run the AC and then mixing warm air
with the cold air, that I just paid to create? If saving money were my
only consideration, shouldn't I keep the AC all the way on cold, but
turn it on and off, like a furnace or AC unit at home works? (Yes, of
course the car is much smaller than the house and so I'd alternate
between being too hot and being too cold, but this is an academic
question.)

What about my own car, that has an automatic setting which it says will
keep the temp at whatever temp I set it to? 70, 68, 72, whatever. Does
this work differently from the simple AC in the paragraph above? Doesn't
it also mix warm air heated by engine coolant with cold air cooled by
the AC, using extra gasoline?

Isn't the only way to save money to set the AC all the way to the
coldest, and turn it off if it gets too cold?

BTW, when I was here 53 years ago, I dont' remember there ever being a
hot day. I was on foot, carrying a rucksack**, hitchhiking or walking
around town.

**A strange backpack with a metal frame but one unlike any other one
I've seen before or since. The frame was not two parallel sides, but
sort of a figure 8 (but not that narrow in the middle. I might still
have it in the basement, but the cloth is probably no good anymore.
Cindy Hamilton
2024-01-24 14:26:26 UTC
Post by micky
[...]
If you're that worried about spending money, perhaps you should
stay home.
Cindy Hamilton
Mark Lloyd
2024-01-24 23:14:01 UTC
Post by micky
My rental, a Toyota Yaris, has a simple heater/AC and sometimes, with
the fan on 1, the lowest speed other than "stop", and the temp on
coldest, it's too cold.
The solution seems to be to move the temp towards warm, but when I do
that, am I not using gasoline to run the AC and then mixing warm air
with the cold air, that I just paid to create?
IIRC, on mine the temp control varies the compressor duty cycle.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Gun control is HITTING what you aim at."
micky
2024-01-25 03:51:42 UTC
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:14:01 -0600, Mark Lloyd
Post by Mark Lloyd
Post by micky
My rental, a Toyota Yaris, has a simple heater/AC and sometimes, with
the fan on 1, the lowest speed other than "stop", and the temp on
coldest, it's too cold.
The solution seems to be to move the temp towards warm, but when I do
that, am I not using gasoline to run the AC and then mixing warm air
with the cold air, that I just paid to create?
IIRC, on mine the temp control varies the compressor duty cycle.
That would be good. That would be just fine.

Now I remember what I'm supposed to look for in the owners manaul. 690
pages... maybe tomorrow.
[snip]
Bob F
2024-01-25 03:56:24 UTC
Post by micky
[...]
You can change the setting, then watch the A/C compressor clutch cycle
on/off at different rates, I bet.