Brake Drum Overheating Solved.......
Denny B
2003-08-25 04:30:01 UTC
) I bled my front and back brakes today.
The brake fluid I purchased today was a
clear colour. The fluid I removed was a dark brown.
Honestly I could not believe the state of the fluid that was
removed. One of the back bleeder screws I know
that the first liquid that came out was rusted water
it fell on newspaper and was absorbed by the paper.

I always maintain my vehicle but honestly I
have never paid much attention to brake fluid.
That will now change for sure.

After doing this bleed job which I consider was absolutely
necessary because I could see how dirty the fluid was compared
to the new fluid, I still did not know if this would solve my Brake
Drum Overheating problem.

2 ) So while I had the two rear wheels removed, I changed the
two drums over. The drum that overheated went to the side
that was not overheating (passengers side ) and the drum that
did not overheat went to the side that overheated.( driver's side )

And what can you guess my original problem overheated
driver's side drum is no longer overheated it is normal.
The problem is now the passenger's side drum is overheated.

So the problem is a defective drum!!!!!!!!!!

Last week I was thinking the problem could be the drum
and went to Canadian Tire to price drums.
Made in China drum $29.99
Made in USA drum $49.99

Three years ago when I was new in this city I went to
a place to buy 2 new drums and was charged $29.99
and I now suspect that they must have been the made in
China drums. This one drum must have been defective from
the beginning.
I had both drums in my hands today they are identical
look the same, weigh about the same, markings the same
they 9 inch drums, you would never know one is defective.

So my dilemma now is do I buy two $49.99 drums
or just one.

See below my original postings to this NG

Thanks for your help
Denny B
----------------------

2) 2nd posting August 23 / 2003

Can brake fluid break down?

If brake fluid has not been changed for
many years can it break down ?

If it can how will you know ?

Thanks in advance
Denny B

1) 1st posting July 15 / 2003

Brake Drum Overheating

I have a 1981 Ford Fairmont 6cyl, 3.3 L auto trans
and the drivers side brake drum is overheating.

In June 2002 I redid front and rear brakes with the best kind
of linings I could get from a clutch and brake rebuilder. They told me
that it was the kind used by taxis and police, it was made by Bendix.
Heard a ticking noise the other day, investigated and discovered that
the drivers side shoes were very worn and the longer lining at the rear
were cracked where the rivets are. The passenger side drum brakes were
OK
no problem there, probably another year's lining left.
Yesterday I got new (Rebuilt) drum pads from Canadian tire, just had
time
to install the defective side linings and then tried the car out.
After 2 miles of driving I could smell something was overheating and it
was the linings rubbing against the drum. I removed the drum saw
where there were rubbing marks and sanded the linings. It is derivable
now but I find that the drivers side drum still gets hotter then the
passengers
side. The parking brake is OK it does release and the cables have been
replaced they are free. The self adjuster is all the way in.

Any tips as to what I am overlooking or what can be causing the one
drum to
get much hotter then the other side.

Thanks in advance
Denny B
Jeff Deeney
2003-08-25 04:47:50 UTC
Post by Denny B
So the problem is a defective drum!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not quite sure how you reached this conclusion.
In what way is the drum defective? Is it worn past the
ID wear limit? It it warped (pulsing)? In all likelihood,
your brakes are improperly adjusted, possibly due to
defective or improperly installed adjusters.

Before you spend $$ on drums, verify that the existing
ones are out of spec.

-Jeff Deeney-
Denny B
2003-08-25 07:06:05 UTC
I don't understand your reply.
I do realize it is the drum.

Denny B
how could you not realize the drum is probably defective ?. if its
the
only part moved from one side to the other and the heating problem
goes
with it ?
Unix Rules... help your mates and introduce them.
Jeff Deeney
2003-08-25 15:02:44 UTC
I've explained how I reached this conclusion
I simply changed the rear drums over, the drum
that was on the driver's side I put on the passenger's side,
the drum that was on the passenger's side I put on the
driver's side . Originally the driver's side drum overheated
that drum is now on the passenger's side and it is the passenger's
side drum that overheats. ( which is the drum that was on the Driver's
side )
Nothing to do with any of the things you state
they all perfectly fine. Its the drum.
But *why* is it the drum? Did you readjust the brake shoes
when you swapped drums? If you didn't adjust, then the
problem could have gone away simply because the hot drum
had more clearance with the shoes on the other side.

As I said before, these components have specifications on them.
The major defects would be wrong ID, or out of true.
I think you're wasting money (& possibly endangering yourself
and others) if you swap the drum without understanding the
nature of the defect.

Then again, I'm an anal-retentive mechanical engineer.

-Jeff Deeney-
Denny B
2003-08-26 01:56:25 UTC
I have been doing my own brake jobs on my cars
for over 30 years and make this statement simply
to imply that I know what the inside of a brake drum
looks like.
Did you readjust the brake shoes when you swapped drums.
Yes I set the auto adjuster's to minimum.
If you didn't adjust, then the
problem could have gone away simply because the hot drum
had more clearance with the shoes on the other side.
Understand the hot drum always remains the hot drum
no matter where you put it, no matter how you set the auto adjusters.

Today I purchased a quality drum made in USA, installed it
and now both back drums heat about the same, no more smelling
the overheated brake linings, no more the drum getting so hot
that you can feel even the tire rim is too hot and even the hub cap
is too hot.

This has solved my problem.

As one poster stated the drum has possibly reached its minimum
thickness.

Another poster stated he also had a similar problem with a "bamboo"
made in China drum.

Thanks
Denny B
-Jeff Deeney-
lugnut
2003-08-26 02:52:23 UTC
I haven't followed this thread but, I note that you replaced
the parking brake cables. I suppose my question is: does
your vehicle have a parking brak cable master adjustment as
many others have? If so, did you slack off that adjustment?
If not, the parking brake may be what is causing your uneven
heating as parking brakes commonly apply unevenly and the
wheel with the slight more easily applied brake is the one
that will heat first.